Thursday, October 26, 2017

Book Blog #5: Mesmerized


Title: Mesmerized: How Ben Franklin Solved a Mystery That Baffled All of France
Author: Mara Rockliff (words) & Iacopo Bruno (Illustrations)
Publisher: Candlewick Press (2015)
Age: 8-12
Lexile Reading Level: 690L
Awards: Cook Prize, ALA Notable Book, SLJ Best Book, and many more.

Review

During the Revolutionary War, Benjamin Franklin went to Paris to try and convince the King that the colonies were worthy of French assistance in their war for independence against the British. When Franklin arrived in Europe he entered a continent obsessed with a young doctor named Mesmer. Mesmer claimed to have discovered a new force that he was able to tap into which gave him unique powers. When Dr. Mesmer channeled the force and waived his wand he was able to do amazing things including cure illnesses. The King of France asked Franklin to investigate Dr. Mesmer's claims and the rest, so they say, is history. I was absolutely transfixed with this book! While I was well aware of Franklin's trip to France I had never heard of his interaction with Dr. Mesmer. In fact, there was a moment early on where I debated whether or not it was real. It was! The story alone had be glued to every page but the unique presentation of the book - using a mix of fonts, graphics, maps, illustrations - and the exceptional artwork that made every page a feast for the eyes made the book a true joy. I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's an amazing story and introduces some important scientific elements that I didn't know. I think it might be a bit much for a 1st grader and possibly a 2nd grader, but it would be right in a 3rd-5th grader's wheel house.


Recommended Pairings:

1. Hot Air: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Hot-Air Balloon Ride (Marjorie Priceman)
2. Mr. Ferris and His Wheel (Kathryn Gibbs Davis)
3. Anything but ordinary Addie: the true story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic (Mara Rockliff)

All three books that I have listed as pairings are, like Mesmerized, narrative nonfiction picture books. Each tells the story of a famous invention/person in a way that is appealing to both a child and the adult reading it to a child! The story told in the first book is actually referenced in Mesmerized. In 1783 the first hot air balloon took flight. It's passengers? A rooster, a duck, and a sheep! The second book is the true story of the invention of the Ferris Wheel and whether or not it would be ready for its debut at the 1893 World's Fair. The third selection was one I thought of while reading Mesmerized. Something about the book reminded me of another nonfiction narrative I had read about a woman who, after her husband - a world-famous magician - passed away, became a world famous magician herself. When I finally found the book I was surprised to discover that it was the same author as Mesmerized! All three books are informative, engaging, and inspirational.

Suggested Activities:

Each of the four books I've mentioned in this post sparked my curiosity. I read quite a bit more about Dr. Mesmer, the first hot air balloon, Mr. Ferris, and Adelaide Herrmann. Each story could be used for a larger subject study. Mesmerized alone could be used to study Ben Franklin, The Revolutionary War, The French Revolution, the Scientific Method, the placebo effect, Louis XVI, and more. I think a really fun exercise would be to have a classroom or library program study these narrative nonfiction picture books and then have each child or a small group create their own based on a historical figure/event that interests them.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rob, I really appreciated how you described "inside" this title. It sounds like a great read. I think you might enjoy a new book about Houdini's later life, when he spent much of his time debunking fraudulent spirit mediums. It is meant for a slightly older audience. https://www.amazon.com/Magician-Spirits-Deborah-Noyes/dp/0803740182/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509661349&sr=8-7&keywords=houdini+books+for+kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an adult, I really love reading and learning about things I didn't know before. As a child, I hated history and thought it was boring. So, I love that there seems to be a resurgence in not only telling stories that people don't find in history books, but also in telling visually-interesting stories. I especially like learning new things about people I thought I knew well (like Franklin), even when it changes my opinion of him or challenges my notions.

    For older students, the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast (https://www.missedinhistory.com/podcasts) is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob,
    What a fascinating sounding book! I have never heard of this story about Ben Franklin before. I agree with what Emily said about really enjoying learning about these things more as an adult than I would have as a child. I don't remember there being such well designed and beautifully illustrated nonfiction books with such interesting topics when I was growing up as there are now. This generation of kids really have a lot of great books out there!

    I really appreciate your straightforward approach to your blog posts. Your recommended pairings and suggested activities are well thought out additions to the book that you are discussing.

    Tara C.

    ReplyDelete

Book Blog #7: Round

Title:  Round Author:  Joyce Sidman (illustrations by Taeeun Yoo) Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2017) Age:  3-7 years Le...